Tuesday, December 20, 2011

#Reverb11: Cry

"When did you cry?"

This was a rough year - and I did my best not to cry over the little things and just push through them. The one time that I cried that hardest though, was back in April when my family dog passed away.

Not long after my childhood dog was put down (9th grade, so 1998?), my step-dad came home from work with the best surprise for my brother and I. An absolutely beautiful Australian Shepard. He was already a couple years old and his name was Buddy, but I called him my Pirate Dog (he had thick black circles around his eyes!)
When I lived at home, Buddy would lay at the end of my bed and snuggle with me at night, follow me around in the mornings getting ready for school, and get excited when I came home and went out on the porch to play with him! When he would go bursting out the front door (FREEDOM) and went running around the neighborhood, I would always have more luck getting him to come home than anyone. He was always so happy to see me, and I was always so happy to have him there!! he was my cuddle dog when things at home got really rough. I loved that dog so incredibly much.

After I went to college, and moved away from home, I would get sad not being around my Buddy, but when I got home to visit, it was as if I never left. He would get so excited to see me and have to sit with me for quite a while before wandering off to his regular routine. When my parents moved to Idaho, I was super bummed that I wouldn't get to see Buddy very often, but knew it would be fun to visit. When I would go stay at my parents for weekends or holidays, Buddy would still come in and lay down at the end of the bed with me when I would go to sleep, just like when I lived at home. 

The last day I saw Buddy was when I was home for my little brother's Graduation last year. He was getting old and nearing the end of his time, but he was still trucking around like he was full of life. When I talked to my mom around Christmas, she talked about how bad he was getting. His old age was definitely showing and she was afraid he wasn't going to last much longer. As much as I tried, I just couldn't get over to Idaho to visit. I knew if I didn't, I wouldn't get to see Buddy again. I finally made plans to go to Idaho at the beginning of summer this year, but it was too late. My mom called me one morning and let me know that Buddy laid down to take a nap and didn't wake up. He went quietly and peacefully. I was incredibly devastated. He was my Pirate Dog, I missed him so much, and I didn't get to be there with him. I still find pictures of me and Buddy from when I lived at home, even one of him hanging with me while I'm all dressed up for a school dance. He was a great part of my life and my family and I will miss him every day!

Continue with me on this journey!! Check out my earlier post with links to other #Reverb / #WEverb projects, and join the adventure!

Peace and Good JuJu to You,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is a happier place when you leave a little love! So share something you liked, or disliked, about this post!