Thursday, December 8, 2011

#Reverb11: Choose

"What was the biggest choice you made in 2011? What caused you to choose what you chose?"

This prompt is provided by Melissa at 53blonde.com (via Weverb11.com).

I made lots of choices in 2011. I think the biggest choice I made this year was filing for bankruptcy. Going to school put a huge strain on me financially. While I worked full time going to school, I paid for rent and bills and necessities. Sadly, I also got sucked into a horrible relationship for 5 years, that caused me to use credit cards to continue paying for the expenses of TWO people. When the relationship ended, i wound up with all the credit debt. It got to the point where I couldn't keep up with the debt payments, while still going to school. Once I finished school and had to start making loan payments, I just sank lower and lower. Not long after, I totaled my car. I just felt lost. I was doing everything in my power to pay my debts, but one thing after another kept tearing me down. The final breaking point was when Josh lost his job just before Thanksgiving. Having him help pay rent and household bills was finally allowing me to pay off my debts, but now that I'm paying for everything in the household along (and Josh is looking at going back to school), I just couldn't take it anymore.
I feel like I've failed. I feel like I could have made better and smarter choices when I was in my previous relationship (maybe leaving him way earlier would have been a smart choice!) and I could have been more aware of my financial situation while I was still in school. But there is nothing I can do about that now. I've learned my lesson. I've spent 3 years now living with no credit, and paying only for what I can afford and what I need. Bankruptcy will help me have a fresher slate and live my life the way I've always wanted to, the way I wish I would have years ago.

Continue with me on this journey!! Check out my earlier post with links to other #Reverb / #WEverb projects, and join the adventure!


Peace and Good JuJu to You,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is a happier place when you leave a little love! So share something you liked, or disliked, about this post!