Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day and the Seattle Color Run!

Today's Savory Sunday post is being replaced with a special Mother's day post!

First up, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!! To all the moms who give there all each and every day for their children, you are truly appreciated! To my own mom, you are the best! Thanx for always being there with the honest truth, the tough love, and the best hugs ever!!! I miss you and hope to visit you soon!

So, what did I do this Mother's Day? Well, since I couldn't be with my mom, I ran in the Seattle Color Run! My mom has been one of my biggest supporters in my weight loss journey, so I ran this 5K for her!

The Color Run pretty much has 2 SIMPLE rules. 1. White shirts mandatory at the start line and 2. Color plastered EVERYTHING at the finish! Everyone starts the 5K dressed in white and ready to rock! And by the end, it looks like a tie dyed party! At every kilometer of the run, you go through a color zone where you are blitzed with color dust! This was my first 5K EVER and I've got to say it was a BLAST!

My training for the 5K wasn't very good. And I wound up being the only person in my Princess Procrastinators team who made it to Race Day! However, another great friend of mine, Myranda, her 2 sisters and her mom were all running, so I spent the day with them! They are like my surrogate family and I've known them for 17 years, so it was a great way to spend a beautiful sunny Mother's day!

When we got to Seattle, we wound up being at the end of the line! 7000 people in the run, and WE were the tail end! I told everyone right away that there was no way that I was going to be able to run the whole thing! With a prior ankle injury, very little training, and all the extra weight I carry around - running is not my friend! I had 2 goals: finish in under an hour (59 minutes 59 seconds was OK!) and do NOT be the very last person to finish!

I started off good and kept up a nice jog for the first little bit. I alternated walking and jogging all the way to the first color, which was Blue. By then, I was on my own! Thank heavens I knew we had a predetermined meet up point, or I would have been left in the dust (literally)! The next color I ran through was Yellow! I stayed on the far left side of the run lane and was pelted with yellow dust from head to toe! I even got it right in my face! Luckily I was wearing my sunglasses!

As I was nearing the half way mark, I saw another friend of mine, already on the return trip! And then Myranda and her mom jogged past me! I finally caught up to Myranda's 2 sisters and walked with them til we went through the 3rd color, Green! Green seems to be the color that stuck to almost EVERYONE. After we got past green, we heard a guy say that it was "all downhill from here" (we had been walking up at a slight incline, burning those calves!). Hearing this, the girls started jogging and I just kept on walking. My feet were killing me, but I knew I had to make it all the way to the end! I was not about to give up!

Whoever said it was all downhill lied, because shortly after jogging through the 4th color, Orange, there was a HUGE HILL! Ok, it wasn't HUGE, but man did I think I was going to die before I made it to the top of that hill. When I got to the top, it was like all the pain I was feeling the last part of the run went away! I saw the finish line. I actually made it ALL THE WAY!

After walking through that finish line, I couldn't stop smiling! This was an amazing accomplishment for me and to see my friends afterwards, proud of me and cheering for me because I made it all the way to the end was amazing! And of course, the first thing I did was call my mommy! The best thing to hear was how proud she was of me for making it through to the end! One big step in my weight loss journey! It was a great day to enjoy an sunny Seattle day when I couldn't spend it with my mom!

And with that, I leave you with a slideshow of pics from the day!



Peace and Good JuJu,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is a happier place when you leave a little love! So share something you liked, or disliked, about this post!