Friday, May 18, 2012

Health Goals

Its been a long day, and this will be a shorter than normal post, but I really wanted to touch on this topic before I got too ahead of myself.

When I went to my doctor last August to speak honestly about me wanting to lose weight and keep it off, she was extremely helpful. Next week I will spend time going over some of the advice she gave me, but right now I want to discuss the one question she asked me that made me think.

What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this?

Really? I want what I believe everyone wants when they try to lose weight! I wanna be skinny and look hot! I want to wear bikinis and get stares! DUH!!

Okay, realistically speaking, I actually had to think about what I truly wanted to accomplish in this journey. What did I want my end result to be? I was in this for the long haul. No more quick fixes or failed attempts. This is a life style change. I need to retrain my body and my habits to live healthier and continue with it. So, I started to make a list of goals I wanted to achieve. Its like when you set your 5-10-15 year life goals, only I was focusing on just my health.

Ultimately, I want to lose weight and be where I was when I graduated high school. I wasn't super skinny, but I was at a healthy weight and I was fit and in shape. I want to be able to Jog for at least 30 minutes without getting winded. I want to be able to buy clothes in a normal store, and not a plus size store with limited options. I want to have kids and be able to play with them without getting worn out because of my weight.

Its more than just being thin. Its about whole health. I DON'T want the health risks that come with being overweight. I DON'T want my weight to prevent me from getting out and enjoy life. I DON'T want to be another obesity statistic.

So, here is my list! I know some of these I can accomplish rather quickly, while others could take a few years. But I'm willing to fight to the end to reach them all.

  1. I want to weigh 150lbs - this will require me losing 100+ lbs.
  2. I want to be able to Jog (not run) for a minimum of 30 minutes without getting winded.
  3. I want to fit into a dress I still own from my first year of college.
  4. I want to be able to try on wedding dresses without worrying if they will carry my size.
  5. I want to have children and not be overweight when I do.
  6. I want to expand my food knowledge so that I make healthier food choices.
  7. I want to work towards a whole month with no fast food.
  8. I want to step on the scale at my doctor's office and for the nurse to tell me my weight falls into the NORMAL category.
  9. I want to train for a half marathon.
  10. I want to share my experiences with other women, and men, to help them gain the courage to get healthy as well!
There ya' have it! My list of health goals. What are your goals? How did you decide on the things you wanted to accomplish? Create them for YOU.


Peace and Good JuJu,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is a happier place when you leave a little love! So share something you liked, or disliked, about this post!