Sunday, September 23, 2012

Spicy Chili Soup

Now that Fall is here - I must share one of my favorite Crock-Pot recipe! I learned this recipe last fall and since then have made it at least a dozen times! It provides plenty of leftovers for the Caveman and I and is a big hit with some of our friends! Each time I make it, I love it a little bit more!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lbs. Lean Ground Beef, Turkey, or Shredded Chicken
1 Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
8 oz. Sliced Mushrooms
1 (14oz) can Crushed Tomatoes
1 (48oz.) can reduced sodium tomato or vegetable Cocktail Juice
1 (14oz) can Beans rinsed and drained.
1 Tbs.Ground Cumin
1/8 tsp. cayenne, or to taste
1/4 cup each fresh Cilantro and Parsley, chopped

This is an easy recipe! First things first, cook your choice of meat. I love using ground turkey seasoned with cayenne pepper. I'm a fan of spicy soup to warm me up in the cold weather!

While the meat is cooking, combine the remaining ingredients in your crockpot. Start with the vegetable juice and the can of crushed tomatos. Then add the beacns and the chopped vegetables. Make sure to stir everything together. Once stirred together, add the spices and chopped parsley and cilantro. Stir everything once again.

By now the meat will be done cooking and properly seasoned. Make sure to drain the meat from any juices. once drained, toss into the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients and stir well! Turn the crockpot on High heat and let cook for 2 hours 30 minutes.

The smell of the soup cooking will fill your whole house and it will be glorious! Pair with some bread of your choosing, like Naan, and you have yourself a hearty meal for the whole family! This typically makes enough soup for 6-8 people, depending on the size of the bowl.

I would love to head what you think of this meal and any variations you use to improve it!

Peace and Good JuJu,
Holly

2 comments:

  1. I am tempted to try this...minus the mushrooms of course...I hate the texture of mushrooms...and this sounds absolutely yummy! I remember you talking about this last year when we were driving to Zumba some morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious! The base of it came from a food magazine and it was a recipe for weight loss that was cooked NOT in a crockpot. The modifications I made allow it to be a drop-it-all-in kinda meal and just let it simmer. Makes the house smell great too!

      Delete

The world is a happier place when you leave a little love! So share something you liked, or disliked, about this post!