Thursday, December 11, 2014

#Reverb14: Ritual and Routine

What tiny rituals: signal that your day is starting; help you ease into a creative project; give you closure from an intensive task; or mark other significant milestones in your day? What new rituals would you like to create in the new year?

The alarm goes off, the dog starts whining, and eyes struggle to open... that's the start of my day. My day can't start unless the puppies are trying to keep me snuggled in bed! But once I roll out of bed, its the glass of water and frantic dash to get ready to get out the door!

Big tasks at work are the norm. Its never a bunch of small things to do, its tons of big tasks that need lots of attention and lots of work. But I don't start until I have a hiding session! Never fails, whenever a big project starts, I find a focus room at work, shut the shades, and sit with just my thoughts and a blank page and detail out the project. Its the only way for my mind to stay focused throughout the duration of the project.

Finishing tasks is the same every time - Celebratory lunch and drinks! Nothing feels better about finishing a huge project, then getting all the players together to let off steam, talk about the successes, bond together, and then jump right into the next task!

Next year, rituals are going to take up my day. I feel the only way to bring organization to my chaotic days is to start mapping it out from the minute I open my eyes to the minute I close them. One thing I realize thought, and that I am conditioning my mind to remember, is that if things don't go 100% the way I want - its okay. there will be detours, there will be different paths taken, but at least if I've planned from the beginning, I've taken an effort to direct my day in a positive manner!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is a happier place when you leave a little love! So share something you liked, or disliked, about this post!